28 August 2007

tuesday: earth



and you just know that these are ezra's hands.

and if we are talking about the earth today: did anyone else happen to see the lunar eclipse last night? ezra woke up at three in the morning with bad dreams and after I calmed him down and lulled him back to sleep, I heard something on the news about the lunar eclipse. I immediately shook poor ward awake and we ran outside together to see what we could see. there it was-- an eerily orange moon. all soft and glowy, it seemed to be floating just above the rooftops. I'm telling you, it was something to see. I love the idea that the earth was standing between the sun and the moon, casting a shadow on the moon.

I stood out there in my raggedy old nightgown with ward and I stared up at the sky. then ward brought ava down to see it too-- because you never know when you're going to get the chance to see something like this again. the three of us, we stood outside in the dark of the night and we stared up at the sky together. so clear, a thousand stars out and that strange, glowing orange moon.

oh, it was something to see. something to see.

(for shari's week of natural elements)

11 comments:

  1. aaaahhhhhh, that explains it. I saw the moon was all yellow and fuzzy but I didn't even know or realise there was an eclipse. Maybe that's why I felt a bit bonkers today?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! My husband and I were totally going to go to the lake to watch it, but it didn't end up happening. I'm bummed I missed out. But totally glad you and your family saw it. It sounds magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME photo, now that is texture. We slept through the eclispe last night, but I really enjoyed reading about you sharing that experience with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet husband woke up our 7 year old daughter, but left me sleeping. So I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic! i always seem to miss out on astronomical events. sounds wonderful. so so glad you are participating this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you woke up Ava to see the eclipse. I would never do that, but I wish that I would. I saw it, but here in the East it happened a lot closer to dawn, so it faded in the sunlight soon after I located it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I tagged you for an eight things meme. The rules are on my blog, if you wish to play. Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love that y'all woke Ava up to see it. When she's older that will be a sweet, romantic memory.

    ReplyDelete